The Payroll Manager will be responsible for the management and execution of all aspects of multi-state, union/non-union payrolls, tax filing and garnishments using UKG (Ultimate Software). The role will directly supervise one Payroll Specialist; working as a team to build the payroll department, internal controls, key day-to-day processes, and processing payroll. The Payroll Manager will build partnerships and collaborate with functional leads and key partners, to deliver on business needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources, Accounting, or relevant area
- Five plus years of relevant experience in Payroll, leading payroll functions and processes
- Three years of supervisory experience
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Solid understanding payroll compliance in a multi-state environment
- Working knowledge of UKG (Ultimate Software) and Kronos
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability and desire to function as an individual contributor and team leader processing payroll.
- Understanding of payroll administration, controls, governance, and compliance obligations related to payroll and payroll taxation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use sound judgement while keeping others informed as appropriate.
- Highly analytical with a sharp focus on detail and accuracy; able to think logically yet broadly to solve immediate issues, identify and diagnose root cause of systemic issues, and take a leadership role in driving improvements and efficiencies.
- Must have the ability to consistently produce accurate work product while successfully managing multiple priorities at once and deliver with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Manage and participate in the proper processing of employee pay, including reviewing, processing output, correcting data, and calculating pay to ensure payroll is processed in an accurate, compliant, and timely manner. This includes processing of off cycle pay checks when necessary, garnishments, and tax levy orders.
- Responsible for governmental reporting, payroll tax compliance including W2’s, quarter and year end processes, and documentation to ensure compliance with all legal requirements.
- Collaborate with the internal and external stakeholders on all payroll issues as appropriate.
- Responsible for compliance with payroll related internal controls, maintaining, and improving controls, documentation of user procedures and payroll processing related to payroll compliance and production.
- Assist and support in annual financial, workers compensation and benefit audits by responding to requests as it relates to payroll data.
- Develop, maintain, and support a variety of semi-complex reports using reporting tools for customer needs or requests.
- Develop, mentor, and supervise daily activities of Payroll Specialist, including providing direction for tasks, training, and processing responsibilities.
- Maintain payroll best practices to ensure continuous improvement of the payroll function. Be a steward of optimization and innovation utilizing the UKG (Ultimate Software) system to its full potential.
- Be a champion in helping to create a positive employee experience with efficient and effective support processes and by responding to employee inquiries regarding payroll issues or concerns.
- Stay current will federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and company policies. Advising leadership on updates and changes that impact payroll processing, tax or employment laws as appropriate.